Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Magoeba's Kloof

So I'm counting down the days until 30 December to set off again on a spectacular hiking adventure with my brother in law in the Magoeba's valley close to Tzaneen. This is going to take a different approach to a normal hike as he has no previous experience in multi day hiking and is quite unfit and not exactly "build" for something like this. The route is rated moderate to difficult and is 4 days covering about 45km of some technical hiking, with at least no rope work (relief). This week I'll start preparing the kit and setting out our menu so that we do not have to much weight that needs to be carried as my brother in law has already 120kg to drag over the Waterberg. - The Waterberg Biosphere is a massif of approximately 15,000 square kilometers in north Limpopo Province, South Africa. Waterberg is the first region in the northern part of South Africa to be named as a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO. The extensive rock formation was shaped by hundreds of millions of years of riverine erosion to yield diverse bluff and butte landform[1]. The ecosystem can be characterised as a dry deciduous forest or Bushveld. Within the Waterberg there are archaeological finds dating to the Stone Age, and nearby are early evolutionary finds related to the origin of humans - This is surely on of the very few visited areas in our country but to no means the least beautiful. The exitement is progressing as with any adventure and no longer can I contain my enthusiasm. So with this last week before us to swoop by I'm sitting here in my office day dreaming again about being one with nature and my soul cast into the African continent.

No comments: